False entries made by an airport screener on the list of checked goods and a casual smoke break taken by another one were the last straw for the UK monitoring team, leading to the temporary ban on Dhaka-London direct air cargo.  The Daily Star learnt this from a report of the UK Department for Transport (DfT) and a reliable source in the British High Commission in Dhaka . . .

. . . UK experts inspected the Dhaka airport in November and December last year and found serious security lapses and risks.  “Findings were horrible. Overall, the airport failed to meet the required security standards in 75 percent of the observations. In 25 percent of the observations, security standards were being consistently met,” said a report prepared by the UK experts after the follow-up visit in December.  

About cargo, the report mentioned, “In 80 percent of the observations, security measures were not complied.”  Talking to this newspaper recently, Rashed Khan Menon said, “We have fulfilled 70 percent of the requirements and meeting the rest 30 percent is under process.”

Pirates lin waters off western Malaysia in January 2006 were using data stolen from a shipping company's systems to target cargo ships and steal specific crates of valuables in hit-and-run attacks.

When the terms "pirate" and "hacker" are used in the same sentence, usually it's a reference to someone breaking digital rights management on software. But that wasn't the case in an incident detailed in the recently released Verizon Data Breach Digest report, unveiled this week at the RSA security conference. Verizon's RISK security response team was called in by a global shipping company that had been the victim of high-seas piracy aided by a network intrusion . . . 

An NBC 5 (Dallas) investigation found Dallas-Fort Worth is now one of the worst spots in the country for cargo theft.

The media outlet has called for creating a statewide task force to battle cargo theft would require action from the Texas legislature. The state already collects a $2 fee on auto insurance policies to fund an auto theft task force which investigates some truck theft cases where entire rigs are stolen.  Last year the state collected about $44 million from those auto insurance policy fees.  Under state law about $22 million of that money could be appropriated to the auto theft task force.  But the legislature chose to appropriate only  $15 million to the auto theft task force.  Some in the insurance industry have suggested a portion of the remaining funds could be used to target cargo theft.  

I had the privilege of attending a forum on the subject of GPS Cargo Tracking sponsored by the Rx-360 Cargo Theft / High Risk Areas Workgroup and the Pharmaceutical Cargo Security Coalition (PCSC) on Wednesday, 3 February.  Hosted by Pfizer at their facility in Collegeville, PA, the event was attended by representatives from the pharmaceutical industry, carriers, security firms, insurance companies and others, participating in person and on-line.  

A number of vendors were invited to present including 7P Solutions,  FreightWatch, LoJack / SC-Integrity,  HiddenTec, OnAsset, RoamBee, ShadowTrack 24x7, TigerSwan, TSS and Ubidata  / Track4C.  It must be noted inclusion as a presenter did not constitute an endorsement from either of the sponsoring organizations, rather, it was an opportunity to educate members as to the services they can provide.

That said, here are a few personal observations, notes, opinions and prognostications:

An airplane mechanic, whose family member has ties to Islamic State in Syria, is accused of planting a bomb on the Russian passenger plane which crashed in Egypt last October, according to a published report.